Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

I Started My Business for the Wrong Reason, Part 1

I started my business for the wrong reason. We needed money, and I was afraid.



When I was pregnant, my husband and I decided that I would stay at home with my son rather than continuing to pursue a career as a teacher. This was something we both longed for, and something for which I am truly grateful. Being available to help my husband, to care for my son, and to manage our home does not hinder me from becoming the best version of myself. It is a gift that God has given me to humble me and to help me grow in my dependence on him. The joy that I receive from fulfilling his calling on me as a wife and mother is inexpressible.

It is also inexpressibly challenging. In more ways than one. But today, I'm talking finances.

My hard-working hubby works full time, but he is also going to school. This, combined with the fact that we live in Southern California, means that there isn't much wiggle room in our monthly budget (OK, none). I started dreaming up ways I could make money while still being able to stay home with my son and still being available for my family.

Since I had recently learned to sew, selling on Etsy seemed logical enough. I started up an Instagram, created an Etsy account, made several baby bandanas, took lots of pictures, and waited for the cash to flow. I was encouraged by a few initial sales, but I had no steady or predictable income (and in fact, still do not). This became increasingly draining and tiring as my hopes for the big sales were fading.

At the beginning of January, I set up an accounting system for my business and came to realize my profits for the past year was essentially zero. Really? Nothing? Ugh. 

If you're hoping for my Top 3 Ways to be Successful on Etsy tips, this isn't it.

I was deflated and weary, yet I still enjoyed sewing and knew that I should keep going. But things had to change.

...

Where am I in my business journey now? Stay tuned for next week's post for the rest of the story!







No comments:

Post a Comment