Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

Kids Beet Costume

I am so excited to share with you the first Halloween costume I've ever made! I never thought I would be making costumes. If you've spent half a minute on Pinterest lately, you've probably seen all the amazing creations people come up with. It's a little intimidating!

In fact, I wasn't sure I would be making a costume this year because it still seems intimidating. I'm still working on getting over the fear of what other people will think of my work, but I think the best way to get over it is to just put it out there! So here it is!



My little guy loves beets. I may have encouraged him a just a little bit when I realized he actually liked these vitamin-packed veggies! I've had fun picking them out at farmer's markets and finding ways to prepare them for him. And I've had a little more fun taking pictures of him eating them (and not as much fun cleaning up after he's finished!).






I'm so thankful that in the last few weeks I've learned a few new tricks that helped me put this costume together (just in time!).

My hubby's co-worker donated to my fabric stash several yards of this fun beet-ish color about a month ago and I got the idea to make pants out of them using Made's Kid Shorts pattern + tutorial. I have been practicing making her Kid Shorts (so much fun!!) and all I had to do was lengthen the pattern and add 1/4" elastic to the ankles. It's definitely worth it to download her pattern! The come in sizes 12 months all the way to 10 years! Score!


For the top I used a plain white onesie and some more maroon fabric. I cut out a beet shape (about 1/4" bigger than I wanted it to end up) by tracing a circle shape and adding a root at the bottom and stems at the top (all in one piece). I didn't fret too much over how it looked, I just wanted to get the basic idea across. I used my new hand-binding / hand-applique skill to stitch it on and it came out great!



To finish it off, I got some green knit fabric and made a green headband to represent the greens that grow on top of the beet! The headband tutorial came from Made as well and can be found here! She is really great about teaching you how to use a basic sewing machine to sew knits. So fun!


It was so fun to see it all come together!



Have you ever made something you never dreamed you would? I'd love to hear about it! Let me know in the comments!


Happy Friday everyone!!!





4 comments:

  1. Aww bravo mommy I love it!!! Love those beets pictures hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty! I was inspired by all your cute costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each costume is a work in progress. I take a little from this pattern, an idea from that one, a memory of what I've seen or a vision of the end product stuck in my head. That's the fun creative part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great advice! Every costume is unique and special!

      Delete