Pages

Friday, October 9, 2015

Pumpkin + Apple Muffins Recipe


I can't talk about pumpkin recipes without talking about the weather. 

I just can't!

It's October - the first full month of Autumn - but we live in Southern California, which means today's forecast is 100. Did I mention it's October? Ok, weather talk over.

So why did I make pumpkin muffins this week? I'll admit to being one of the enablers of the pumpkin craze this season, although I've toned it down quite a bit since I first started baking. But pumpkin is still as wonderful as it always has been, and muffins are always a win in my home (especially with coffee). 

Side note: My toddler son is allergic to nuts, so baking from scratch is the best way for me to ensure a product is safe for him to eat! This recipe has NO NUTS and NO DAIRY (sorry, butter lovers - but you can always add a huge dollop of butter on a piping hot muffin and be happy).



First file all your pretty ingredients in a line for picture day. 

I never do this, except when I'm blogging. But can I say that it was so helpful to have all the ingredients already out? 


Using a handheld or stand mixer, first mix together your wet ingredients + sugar in a large mixing bowl.


Place the dry ingredients in a separate, but also large bowl.


Time + soap saver tip: Just use your teaspoon to mix the dry ingredients together real quick so you don't end up with a lump of salt in one of your muffins.


Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients while mixing.


Fill greased muffin tin about 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes.


Yum yum yum.



Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I used coconut)
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar (or 3/4 to make it a little sweeter)

3 cups all-purpose flour (can be mixed with whole wheat)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease your muffin tins or place paper muffin cups in.
2. Place canned pumpkin, eggs, oil, applesauce, + sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
3. Place all dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and stir to even out the mixture.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing on low-medium speed until it is all incorporated.
*Optional* You can add 1-2 cups of chocolate chips at this point if you wish!
5. Use a spoon to fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes. Try not to overcook for best tasting results!

Makes about 20-22 muffins.

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment